Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Second Anniversary!

Today is a special day because it's the second anniversary of my dad's double lung transplant.  Last year we made him blow up a balloon to celebrate one year, but this year we gave him a break.  He has been through a lot these past few months and most of our time has been spent in the hospital.  Last year we had a difficult time with his one year anniversary and this year was no different.  It’s easy to get overwhelmed with different emotions, but I think one emotion we can all agree on is gratitude.  He has been through so much and we are so grateful to get to celebrate this day with him and to think of all the people that are in our lives.  Over the past five years, we have become friends with so many wonderful people that we would have never met and we are truly thankful for all of them.  That’s why we’ve been making so many scarves… they are being distributed to all the doctors, nurses, staff, and team who have helped care for my dad and us over the past few months.  My dad wouldn’t be moving forward with his rehab if it wasn’t for all the amazing people we have been surrounded by in the hospital for the last few months.  I know I have said this many times, but this whole journey has made us really appreciate the small things… like watching my dad take a sip of an ice cold Pepsi that he has been waiting to enjoy for over three months.  Since we went easy on him this year, next year he owes us.  So, maybe I’ll have him cross the finish line at one of my races.  We'll see.  Anyway, today, along with his ice cold Pepsi, I was also able to deliver 2 great pieces of news…  Donate Life agreed to sponsor 30 technical Donate Life running shirts for next year’s LA Marathon, so we will be able to run, raise awareness, and collect donations in support of inspiring the community to register to become organ, eye, and tissue donors.  Also, one of my dad’s nurses won the KONAinspired contest and she will be competing this October!!!  Although it was a simple celebration, it was perfect.  Today was a good day!  Here’s to many more anniversaries, dad… we love you!    


No comments:

Post a Comment